If you are looking for a smart and profitable business idea then you should consider the Photography business.
Despite the advancement in technology, whereby several people can easily take pictures on their android or smartphones, people still go to a photo studio to take pictures for one reason or the other.
People also invite photographers for special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, festivals and several other events.
Is photography business profitable
This is is the question that comes to the mind of many before they decide on a business idea. However, the photography business will always thrive in Nigeria as a result of the following factors:
- Yearly registration of JAMB in Nigeria.
- The unending events like weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, festivals, etc.
- The continual demand for passports by various sectors in Nigeria; for form registration.
Therefore from the above factor, the photography business is a very profitable business to embark on.
What photography business to start
Well there are basically three categories of photography business you can do and they are:
- Studio Photographer – This involves getting a studio and equipping it with all the studio gadgets; with the intention of waiting for customers that need passports/photographs and models to come for photo sessions or portraits.
- Event Photographer – Here as a professional photographer you specialize in covering events such as Weddings, Anniversaries, Burial Ceremonies, Carnivals, Sporting Events, etc. You can also shoot commercial photographs for adverts and productions.
- Travel Photographer – As a travel photographer all you have to do is go on a tour; capturing places, beautiful landscapes, intriguing events, etc. You make money as a travel photographer by selling stock photos online or by displaying them on a museum for potentially interested buyers.
Photography tools needed
To become a professional photographer people will always patronize; you need both your skills and good cameras.
First and foremost you need good cameras. There are several brands of good quality cameras such as Canon EOS 7D, Nikon D800, Olympus E-3, etc. Although they are very expensive, they are worth it.
Other Kits needed are:
- Professional lenses
- Studio lights
- Studio umbrellas
- Memory cards
- Personal laptops
- Light modifiers
- Studio Props: Chris, Stools, Curtains.
- Reflectors and Diffusers and many more.
To start a photography business you need to get a good location where you can set-up your studio. You will also need to buy good quality photography equipment.
Photography business plan
If you have decided to start your photography business here are things you really need to put in place:
- Decide the type of photography business: There are three types of photography business such as event, travel, or studio photographer; Therefore you need to decide the one you are comfortable with You can choose to practice
- Develop a business plan: You will need to develop a detailed business plan and the services you will be rendering must be included in it. It should also include a plan of how you’ll differ from your competition, financial projections, and your marketing strategies.
- Secure a location: You will have to secure a location where you can easily set up your photo studio.
- Purchase photography equipment: You will have to purchase all the photography tools I talked about earlier such as Studio lights, Studio umbrellas, Memory cards, Personal laptops, Softboxes, Light modifiers, etc.
- Business name: You need a business name, this will become your brand. Therefore you should name your business based on the type of photography business you choose to start.
- Register the business: To avoid any legal issues it is very important to register your business. registering the business gives you a license or permit to practice your business.
- Promote the business: To get the best out of your photography business it is very important to promote your business. Therefore you can design business cards, brochures, own a blog and also use your personal or professional network to promote your business.
How can I make my photography business profitable
To make more money from your photography business you need to derive several strategies to get a good return for your skills. Therefore, here are things I will suggest you do to make the business more profitable.
- Teach photography and charge a fee.
- Sell digital or printed copies of your work to interested customers.
- Sell your photos on stock websites.
- Create a photography blog where you can sell your quality pictures.
- Conduct photography tours and workshops and make money from selling tickets.
In summary, It is very important to learn how to use computer applications like Adobe photoshops and CorelDraw for editing and beautifying pictures.
If you enjoyed reading this article then you should feel free to drop your comments in the comment section. You can also ask questions you need clarification about and I will get in touch with you ASAP.
- How to Start a Small Scale Okrika Business in Nigeria
- The Cost of Starting a Poultry Business Idea
- Businesses you can start with little or no capital
- How to Start a barbing Salon business