If your dreams is to visit other countries as a Nigerian then through this guide, I will show you how to apply for an international passport in Nigeria.
As a citizen of Nigeria with your international passport, you can visit any country of your choice. All you have to do is apply for a visa to any country you feel like visiting afterward.
Therefore if this is your first time applying for your Nigerian international passport keep reading to learn how you can easily apply online.
What is a Nigerian international passport?
Table of Contents
The Nigerian international passport is a document that is used to verify you are a Nigerian citizen abroad.
Similarly, with an international passport, you have the opportunity to travel out and enjoy any international country of your choice.
With the international passport, you get the opportunity to explore different country cultures, study abroad or go on a business trip.
Unlike the ECOWAS passport which only grants you travel entry into 15 West African states; with an international passport, you can travel to countries outside Nigeria like Europe, Asia, North America, etc.
How much is international passport in Nigeria?
The Nigeria Immigration office issued a statement last year regarding registering and issuance of new Nigeria international passport which is to take effect on March 4, 2019.
According to them, here is the current Nigeria international passport price:
- 32-page standard e-passport at N25,000 valid for 5-years;
- 64-page standard e-passport at N35,000 also valid for 5-years;
- 64-page standard e-passport at N70,000 valid for 10-years.
What are the Requirements?
The Nigerian Immigration Services (NIS) currently issues electronic passports (e-passports) for new applicants.
Ordinary Nigerian citizens can apply for a Standard e-passport (green cover), while official e-passports (blue cover) are reserved for government officials and Nigerian diplomats.
To process your passport at the Nigeria immigration office, the following requirements must be met before you are granted your international passport and they are listed below:
For Adults (18 years and over):
- Birth certificate;
- Two recent passport-size photographs;
- Proof of payment;
- Letter of ID from local government/ state of origin (valid staff ID card attached);
- Completed passport application form;
- Completed Guarantors’ form duly signed by a Commissioner for Oaths, plus the Photocopy of the Data page of Guarantor’s Nigerian e-Passport and one passport-sized photograph of the Guarantor;
- Marriage certificate (if married);
- Name change affidavit (if applicable).
For Minors (below 18 years of age):
- Completed passport application form
- One passport-size photograph (signed on the reverse side by consenting parent/s)
- Birth certificate
- Evidence of Nigerian citizenship of parent/s
- Letter of consent from both parents (valid court order if one parent is unavailable)
- Proof of payment
*If the child is your adopted child, then a Court Order and Letter of approval from State Ministry of Women and Child Development will be required from you.
To know the current requirements of the Nigerian Immigration Services for international passport applications, please visit the official NIS website.
Pay attention >> How To Check Your Nigerian National ID Card Status
How to apply for the Nigeria international passport
Basically, there are two ways you can apply for your Nigerian passports which are.
- You can either apply at the physical location of the Nigeria Immigration Services or;
- Apply online at the official website of Nigeria immigration service.
Note: for Nigerians living in other countries international passport can be obtained through the nearest Nigerian embassy or the consulate in the country you reside in.
How to apply for your Nigerian international passport online
If you feel you meet the requirements and you want to apply for your international passport online, you can follow the steps below:
- Visit the Nigerian Immigration official website (click here);
- Select the standard e-passport; select your country and click the “Start Application”;
- Fill in the details required in the form by providing your correct details;
- Upload all the scanned copies of required documents;
- Select the preferred payment method (You can pay using your Mastercard or Visa);
- Once your payment has been processed, click “Submit”;
- An Application ID and Reference number will be issued to you;
- Print out the Guarantor’s form and have it certified;
- Print the completed application form;
- Submit the completed application form with other required documents in person.
Note: You can only pay for your Nigerian international passport online either in naira or U.S. Dollars. So you can’t pay in cash.
See Image below:
Credit source: NIS
I have shown you the current price of an international passport and how to apply for one online.
If peradventure you are not clear about some things and you want clarification. Then you can easily drop your comment in the comment section. Similarly, your suggestions are welcome in the comment section also.
Goodluck processing your Nigerian international passport application.